NLGI RESEARCH GRANTS PROGRAM OUTLINE
NLGI’s Mission and Vision:
It is the Mission of NLGI to provide resources relevant to the needs of the global grease community. NLGIâ€™s Vision is to be recognized as the premier source of support to
consumers, researchers, manufacturers, suppliers, marketers and other key stakeholders ofthe worldwide lubricating grease industry.
In keeping with these ideals, NLGI has established a program of Research Grants to enable qualiï¬ed Universities and Nonprofit Institutes to undertake scientific inquiry into any aspect of lubricating grease technology. We aim to serve our global community with yearly grants in support of fundamental research into grease chemistry, thickener systems, test methods, process technologies, production efï¬ciencies, sustainable use, and other themes.
Founded in 1933, the nonâ€”profit National Lubricating Grease Institute (www.nlgi.org) has long supported the global lubricating grease industry with a variety of programs: annual meetings, technical publications, reference books, standards and manuals, education courses, professional and product certifications, and more. With that history in mind, the Institute has established a grants program to fund original scientific research into any aspect of lubricating grease technology. The Institute is committed to an open and fair process for soliciting, evaluating and awarding the yearly grants, as outlined below. We invite and encourage your participation.
Size of Grant Available: $1,000 to $50,000 per year, in part or whole, and potentially extendable to a second or third year, upon application and with NLGI Board of Directors approval.
Types of Research to be considered include fundamental grease chemistry; thickener systems; improved test methods; advances in processing technologies; and sustainability of grease production, materials or use. Preâ€”competitive research of interest to the wider grease community will be favored, and Researchers and NLGI Members are invited to bring desired research topics to the attention of the Research Grant Review Committee.
Schedule for Applications and Awards:
- Applications will be accepted onâ€”line from July 15 to September 15, 2017.
- The Research Grant Review Committee will make its recommendation to the NLGI Board of Directors by October 31, 2017.
- Recipient of the Grant will be notified by November 25, and funds disbursed during December 2017 for research work to begin in spring 2018.
- Applications will be accepted onâ€”line from January 1 to March 15.
- The Research Grant Review Committee will make its recommendation to the NLGI Board of Directors by May 1.
- Recipient of the Grant will be notified by June 15, and funds disbursed by August 1, for research work to commence that fall.
Main Criteria on which proposals will be judged: 1) The research must be related to lubricating greases. 2) The research should contribute to the scientific understanding of grease in a unique and novel way. 3) The research should be of impactful benefit to industry.
Conditions for Receiving a Gra nt a nd N LGI ‘s Expectations
- Any University or Nonprofit Research Institute worldwide may apply.
- The research should be postâ€”graduate level (masterâ€™s or doctoral) work.
- Applicants should download and complete the Research Grant Form and submit it to NLGI Headquarters, along with the lead researcherâ€™s qualifications and references, a summary ofthe research work proposed and how it meets NLGIâ€™s Main Criteria for research grants, and who will conduct it. In five to 10 pages, this summary should detail how the researcher plans to complete the proposed work. It should include a brief, clear description and timeline of required tasks; the budget for researcher support, equipment and consumables; and the research tools and inâ€”kind contributions that the applicant may have available to successfully support his or her work. Also list any previous publications that support the proposed project and its feasibility.
- Only one application per lead researcher or group will be considered each year.
- NLGI being a nonâ€”profit technical institute, not more than 10 percent of the overall grant may be used by the selected institution for indirect, overhead and/or administrative costs.
- NLGI will appoint a liaison as principal contact to work with the researcher and facilitate communication.
- Regular, halfâ€”yearly progress reports (oneâ€”page) should be submitted to NLGI Headquarters.
- A Final Research Report is due not more than six (6) months after completion of the contracted research. Final Reports are to be made available to the membership on NLGIâ€™s website.
- Ifa Masterâ€™s or Ph.D. thesis is written, an electronic copy of the final thesis should be provided to NLGI Headquarters and made available to the NLGI Membership.
- Any publications that result from this grant should name NLGI and its support in the publicationsâ€™ acknowledgement section.
- It is expected that the research findings will be presented at an NLGI Annual Meeting. At its discretion, NLGIâ€™s Board may consider granting a separate travel stipend to assist the researcher to attend the NLGI Annual Meeting to present his or her findings.
- Intellectual property developed under the grant is to be freely available to the public at no cost in order to expand the understanding of lubricating grease technology.
Download the Research Grant Proposal Form here.