History and Procedure
NLGI CERTIFICATION MARKHISTORY
It has long been recognized that the diversity of specifications for Automotive Service Greases, established by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (O.E.M), have made it difficult, if not impossible, for the marketer of lubricating greases to make available all the many specified products. With the issuance of ASTM D 4950 Standard Classification and Specification for Automotive Service Grease, it became not only possible but convenient to offer the products needed to provide proper service of automotive equipment.
ASTM D 4950 INCLUDES SPECIFICATIONS FOR TWO CATEGORY GROUPS:
Chassis lubricants (letter designation L) and wheel bearing lubricants (letter designation G). Performance Classifications within these Groups result in two letter designations for chassis greases (LA and LB), and three for wheel bearing greases (GA, GB, and GC). The automotive industry is in general agreement that the highest performance classification, to date, in each group (LB and GC) is suitable for service relubrication.
To facilitate communicating this information to users, NLGI has developed an identifying symbol, i.e., the NLGI Certification Mark. The O.E.M.â€™s Ownerâ€™s Manuals, most of which refer to this Mark, advise users to use those greases carrying this Mark on the label. It is, therefore, advantageous for marketers of automotive grease to incorporate the Mark into their product label.
Since only the highest performance classification is acceptable to O.E.Mâ€™s, only products meeting LB and GC standards are authorized to use the Mark. Should any future changes occur in ASTM 4950, NLGI will similarly revise its highest performance classifications for the Mark.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Ideally, application should be made by the copyright owner of a brand name, but other authorized users of a brand name may apply if the owner does not. If the owner does apply, other users of the brand name need not.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
- Provide one copy each of NLGI Forms A and Q plus two copies of Form C.
- Send to NLGI Headquarters with the non-refundable Application Fee. This Application Fee opens and maintains the file for each company.
- NLGI members pay the Application Fee whenever an Application Form is submitted; non-members pay the Application Fee annually. (See Fee Schedule.)
- NLGI will review the Application and Qualification statements, and, assuming acceptance, will advise the applicant and request payment of the Certification Mark User Fee. (See Fee Schedule.)
- Upon receipt of the Certification Mark User Fee, NLGI will return to the applicant an executed copy of the Certification Mark User Agreement, and camera-ready, reproducible proofs of the Mark. The Certification Mark User Fee extends for one year from date of approval.