Date: May 10, 2017
Location: Richmond, California, United States
Chevron is one of the world’s leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Grease Scientist located in Richmond, CA through June 28th at 11:59 p.m. (PST).
The position is responsible for a range of projects, from short-term product development and product line support, to long range strategic technology research and development that supports Lubricating Greases. The successful applicant will provide R&D and product line support for various Grease product lines. A moderate amount of business travel is required in this position. This position reports to the Industrial Oils and Grease Technical Team Leader and is located at Chevron’s Richmond Technology Center.
- Plan and execute global R&D programs to formulate lubricant products that meet the needs of the Global Lubricants business. Includes determining the target customer and identifying equipment manufacturers’ and industry requirements. Requires managing programs that are well defined and planned with stage-gates, timing and budget control.
- Work with additive manufacturers and leverage their technical resources to develop new products, maintain existing products and optimize cost and performance of those products. Lead experiments to approve new base oil and additive suppliers for specific (global) Grease product lines
- Oversee the preparation of bench-scale and pilot-scale grease samples in the Chevron grease laboratory and pilot plant.
- Effectively collaborate with industry specialists and customers on the design and implementation of field tests in commercial equipment.
- Work with regional and global Product Technical Support, Manufacturing and Laboratory Support, and marketing and sales organizations to provide technical guidance, training programs and customer support. Maintain OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) technical relationships.
- Work with proprietary and contract manufacturing plants to resolve production issues and to help identify and implement process improvements.
- Implement regional product line and complexity-reduction strategies.
- As a functional expert, represent Chevron at industry technical meetings, including ASTM International, NLGI and others. Anticipate future Grease needs and define strategic research programs where appropriate and aligned with our Grease strategy
- Share best practices, technical trends, program results and conclusions internally to Marketing and externally to customers and industrial equipment manufacturers. Communicate with regional and global Product Line Managers and regional colleagues to ensure global alignment and sharing of data.
- Ensure that all work activities comply with Operational Excellence efforts including internal Chevron Loss Prevention Systems.
- Minimum of Bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering or Masters degree in Chemistry is required.
- Strong communication, leadership, and relationship building skills are required.
- 2+ years of Grease, Grease industry, lubricants industry, oil additives industry and/or formulation experience is highly desired.
- Work experience with industrial equipment operation, design, or maintenance is highly desired.
- Experience with tribology, fundamentals of lubrication, and chemistry are desired.
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.