Daubert Chemical Company has a new opening within their R&D team working on next generation industrial greases. The Senior R&D Chemist provides key technical leadership within R&D related to the development of specialty greases based on calcium sulfonate, polyurea, and other novel thickener structures. In addition to greases, this role will have additional responsibilities in other related development projects as needed. This role is primarily responsible for the commercialization of new products in response to customer needs that will have short-term and long-term impact on success.
Reports to: Exec VP of Technology
Manages: 1- 2 Chemists / Technicians
Key Relationships: Works closely with grease product manager and a cross functional team, including sales, engineering, quality, and finance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Lead development and commercialization of new technology.
· Presents new product opportunities for senior management review.
· Develops new products, optimizes and enhances existing products to meet customer requirements. Guides new products from technical development to commercial introduction. Use chemistry and formulation knowledge to improve processes, technologies, and in the design of cost reduction projects.
· Develops the formulary, manufacturing instructions and quality control specifications for products in area of responsibility.
· Manage lab performance and test equipment in area of responsibility.
· Creates and sends samples to customers.
· Maintains log of test plans, materials, methods, and results. Records all experimentation in company provided legal laboratory notebook.
· Evaluates and approves new and alternative raw materials for use in products in area of responsibility.
· Fulfills regulatory information requests in area of responsibility.
· Assists QC with solving customer complaints, product adjustments, developing and writing test methods and training.
· Works under general supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required.
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry (Arts or Sciences) from a four-year college or university plus 5+ years of grease-related experience; or 15+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Language and advanced mathematical skills as appropriate for role. Ability to read and interpret technical journals is a must. Should be comfortable working in bench scale, pilot plant and commercial settings.